The Chautauqua Golf Club is a member organization of Chautauqua Institution which operates (2) 4-Star rated golf courses designed for challenge and enjoyment by legendary architect Donald Ross (Lake Course) as well as Seymour Dunn and Xenophon Hassenplug. The Chautauqua Golf Club has established a high standard for the golf experience built on service and quality and in recognition of the importance of environmental stewardship including a comprehensive, science-based approach to improving the health and sustainability of Chautauqua Lake.
The Director of Golf, reporting to the Director of Recreation, is responsible for overall golf operations on a tactical and strategic level by managing and continuously developing all aspects of the golf business at Chautauqua Institution. This involves providing a clear vision for strategic direction, in alignment with the Institution’s Strategic Plan (150 Forward), the Campus Master Plan, and Golf Course Master Plan, and identifying additional sales/marketing opportunities, ensuring customer service excellence is consistently delivered, and revenues and profitability are maximized. Areas of direct oversight include Golf Pro Shop/Golf Learning Center, Golf Course Maintenance, Food & Beverage/Banquet Facility (Double Eagle), locker rooms, and other golf facility administration.
Duties and Responsibilities
Strategic Planning and Execution
- Provide a clear strategic vision for golf operations, inclusive of industry trends, and function as the key representative/liaison for golf operations with executive/senior managers and stakeholders to ensure a collaborative business plan that aligns with the strategic plan of the Institution, meets short/long-term goals and objectives, and supports/is supported by interworking departments.
- In conjunction with the Director of Recreation, prepare and regularly review the business plan for golf operations, maintain and utilize knowledge of changes to internal/external environment to enhance or modify the plan, and identify business development opportunities for all areas of golf operations.
- Produce supporting operational plans for golf operations that will contribute to achieving the objectives set out in the strategic plan, golf course master plan, and business plan, as well as positively influence culture and employee embeddedness.
- In collaboration with the Director of Human Resources and parallel with the Institution’s strategic cross-cutting imperative toward workforce planning solutions and as a national ‘employer of choice,’ support an inclusive approach to performance management recognizing all employees as ‘talent’ to be identified early and often with coaching, mentoring, and development opportunities provided at every level of the organization. Ensure that all members of the golf operations management team have appropriate opportunities to enhance skills, knowledge, and experience to support performance.
- In alignment with the Institution’s strategic cross-cutting imperative toward mobilization of technology, partner with the Director of Information Technology to ensure sales/reservation programs and procedures for golf are aligned with other modern course operations and meet logistical needs of business operations.
- Manage simultaneous projects and monitor and evaluate their success. Produce and analyze regular reports on financial performance, utilization of facilities, sales and marketing, and labor costs.
- Continuously review and develop standard operating procedures for each area of the golf operation to ensure customer satisfaction while maximizing revenue and profitability.
- Ensure that all teams in golf operations consistently deliver excellent member service and achieve maximum customer satisfaction for the Chautauqua Golf Club.
- Oversee the care and maintenance of all the physical assets, inventory, and resources of golf facilities.
- Develop and implement health and safety procedures that comply with the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)/ Golf Course Superintendent Association’s regulations that are clearly communicated, effectively monitored, and regularly reviewed.
- Ensure the successful performance of the pro shop/guest services and excellent golf course conditions.
- Ensure that all teams in the golf business consistently deliver excellent customer service, thereby achieving maximum customer satisfaction.
- Coordinate with food & beverage providers and outside vendors for golf banquets and functions.
- Communicate regularly and effectively with individuals, managers, and teams within the Institution.
- Provide effective leadership for the golf operations management team, giving direction to individual managers and motivating/supporting teams to achieve strategic goals and objectives.
- Produce staffing and succession plans for golf operations, identifying workforce requirements needed to achieve the current and future objectives as aligned with strategic/business plans.
- Collaborate with Human Resources to recruit, onboard, monitor, develop, evaluate talent pools, and plan for succession.
Business Development and Revenue Management
- Prepare operating and capital expense budgets to support the achievement of objectives. Monitor and analyze operating budgets and take prompt corrective action to address variances, ensuring each operating area is maximizing efficiency/profitability toward revenue targets and key performance indicators.
- Liaise with the Vice President of Marketing & Chief Brand Officer, Director of Marketing & Analytics, Director of Multi-Media & Design, and Social Content Editor to develop a coordinated marketing and sales plan for golf operations that align with strategic plans and vision for golf operations.
- Identify and develop innovative programs for all customer segments including tournaments, social events, and external promotions. Ensure that all promotional activity is properly structured, communicated, delivered, and appropriately supported by Marketing and Information Technology.
- Establish, implement and review effective sales and marketing strategies that take into account the expectations and needs of different customer groups and emerging industry trends.
- Identify and develop value-added products and services to enhance the customer experience. Stimulate innovation and encourage staff to ‘think outside of the box’ and put forward new ideas.
- Develop strategic partnerships with external organizations, individuals, and agencies in support of successful golf operations as well as membership, sales, and revenue growth.